- Students will evaluate the challenges of sustainable recycling of electronic waste and possible solutions using biotechnology.
- Students will design and develop approaches that incorporate sustainability and biotechnology to address wicked challenges such as the accumulation of discarded electronics
- Why is the sustainable disposal of electronic waste a global and challenging problem?
- Principles of Sustainability
- The Scientific Method
- Introduction to Biotechnology
- Reading Critically as a Community of Scholars
- Experimental Design
- Demystifying Big Data & High-throughput Approaches
- Communicating Science with the Public
- Introduction to genes, genomes, and pangenomes 3 weeks
- Studying communities of microbes and their environments 3 weeks
- Designing your experiments 2 weeks
- Troubleshooting, incorporating feedback, and reevaluating 3 weeks
- Analyzing your data 3 weeks
- Presenting your case 1 week