BIT 495/595 – Genome Engineering: CRISPR Technologies
- Introduction to how CRISPR-Cas systems work, available tools and the application of these technologies.
- Students will work in teams to design and perform a gene knockout in Serratia marcescens using CRISPR-Cas12a.
- Students will communicate broad applications of CRISPR in group presentations as well as novel applications in individual poster presentations.
- Native CRISPR-Cas Systems
- DNA Repair Mechanisms & Genetic Engineering
- Tools & Applications
- CRISPR-Cas Permutations
- On and Off-Target Effects
- CRISPR Bioethics
- Guide RNA Design & Plasmid Mutagenesis (Weeks 1-3)
- Golden Gate Assembly (Week 4)
- Competent Cells & Bacterial Transformation (Weeks 5-6)
- Experimental Design, Hypothesis Testing & Data Analysis (Weeks 5-8)